Top safety tips for new homeowners in Bowling Green
If you just bought your first home or you’re approaching the date to close, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You’re likely considering the ways you might personalize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you give thought to home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you the way with these safety tips for new homeowners in Bowling Green.
Complete a safety review of your new Bowling Green property
Now that safety is top of mind, find out what your new home has in place. To start, make certain you have working smoke detectors. Inspect every one and switch out batteries if required. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go through each room and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Bowling Green home
Once you’ve done your preliminary check of safety devices and locking systems, you can look into elevating your protection. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Bowling Green.
- Opt for a new home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in Bowling Green is a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your property even when you’re away. You are able to scan up-to-the-second video feeds, operate door locks, and even communicate with people on your front porch directly from your smartphone. You may personalize your defense with worthwhile security features like surveillance cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your exterior lighting. Outside lights with motion sensors are a smart solution in deterring possible burglars. You may even use them in conjunction with video cameras. When a motion detector is set off, it can instruct your outdoor camera to start recording.
- Maintain your yard. Can you easily see all of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown bushes and trees blocking your view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be grateful for it too.
- Meet folks on your street. Talking about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people nearby, there’s a greater probability they’ll let you know if they discern anything suspicious. You can also connect to your community’s social media presence if one is available.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you go with an innovative smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by illuminating smart lighting at predetermined moments. This is a great option when you’re at work or on vacation.